Metallic colors aren’t just fashion statements for Olympic athletes. If you pick up a current home décor magazine or tune into one of your favorite decorating shows, you are likely to see some metallic colors – gold / silver / champagne / copper / bronze - used in many decorating schemes. While one metallic color may be trending higher than others at any given time, they always seem to be present in one way or another. Metallic colors are timeless and can often be considered neutrals. This blog post will concentrate on gold right now since that still seems to be the current home décor trend, but feel free to use any metallic color that you like in your home. As always, you should always decorate with what you love living with and looking at rather than just what is in fashion.
No matter whether you like to use metallic in an all-out way or as subtle accents, there are some easy ways to add to or change your room décor to utilize metallic colors.
For accent pieces, give these simple ideas a try in your home:
1) Throw pillows – Gold is a wonderful, warm color that will brighten up a neutral or colorful room – add a pillow to the sofa, bed or your favorite reading chair.
2) Candlesticks – Brighten the dining room table, a bedside table or the entry hall with gold candleholders; add white candles and you can’t go wrong with any surrounding color scheme.
3) Picture frames and mirrors – Add a new frame or mirror to your wall décor or paint an existing one – a metallic gold color really brightens up a wall.
To make a larger statement, try one, or all, of these ideas:
1) Lighting - Change out a light fixture. Consider an antique or vintage chandelier.
2) Furniture - Add a furniture piece (coffee table, end table, nightstand) with a gold metal base. If you already have a table that you love and that table has a metal base, get out the gold spray paint!